108 is considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga. Traditionally, malas, or garlands of prayer beads, come as a string of 108 beads. According to Hindu mythology and yogic texts certain facts has been revealed that are scientifically surprising.
According to Vedas and Upanishads number of facts and figures had been discovered thousands of years back but we (so called calling us a modern society) now slowly-2 believing these facts.
Here are some facts which will draw your attention towards this number 108…..
- The average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters.
- Chakras are the intersection of energy lines, there are 108 intersection to form Heart Chakra.
- There are total 114 chakras, out of them 112 are in our body and 2 are in our aura, so out of 112 , 4 chakras get activated easily and automaticlly, so rest 108 Chakras are left on which you can work and make them active.
- There are Puranas 108 Upanishads (Upanishad means the inner or mystic teaching. The term Upanishad is derived from upa (near), ni (down) and s(h)ad (to sit), i.e., sitting down near. These are the end part of the Vedas which briefly expound the philosophic principles of the Vedas and are considered the essence of the Vedas.)
- In Tamil traditions, 108 Marma points are enumarated. (Marma therapy is an ancient Indian practice whose focus is the manipulation of subtle energy (prana) in the body for the purposes of supporting the healing process. Marma therapy is based on the utilization of 108 points in the body which are considered to be access points to body, mind, and consciousness.)
- In Belize, during the era of the Mayans, the High Temple of Lamanai was erected at 108 feet tall.
- 108 degrees Fahrenheit is the internal temperature at which the human body’s vital organs begin to fail from overheating.
- In Indian astrology we have 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 times 9 is equal to 108.
- In Indian astrology, the metal silver represents moon. The atomic weight of silver is 108.
- There are 54 letters in Sanskrit each can be mentioned shiva and shakti aspect, totaling 108.
- It is believed that if a person calms his mind and have only 108 breaths in a day will get enlightment.
- Krishna had 108 Gopis (female devotees).
- According to Hinduism, our Atman (soul) goes through 108 stages on the journey.
- The sacred River Ganga spans a longitude of 12 degrees (79 to 91), and latitude of 9 degrees (22 to 31). 12 times 9 equal 108.
So there is a lot more to the number 108 and significant history to its importance in yoga.
Submit date- 19/12/2017
Written by- Yogi ajay dhasmana
Published by- www.himalayanyogaashram.com